Monday, June 01, 2009

1 less house in Courtenay, ND

We had some excitement yesterday that we all could have done without! My Dad's house here in town started on fire about 1am in the morning. Dad wasn't home, he had gone to Bismarck the night before and was returning yesterday. Some friends came pounding on our door and ringing the doorbell trying to wake us up because believe it or not, we were sleeping right through all the excitement.....I guess that's from living in larger cities for too many years. Sirens and lights are a normal everyday occurance there. Anyhow, we did manage to save a few things from his house (and literally, I mean a few, everything we saved fit in the back of a pickup truck).. The things we got out were the most valuable things emotionally anyway.

We are very grateful that no one was injured while fighting the fire and are very grateful to all the volunteer firefighters that showed up to help and were so willing to help rescue the few belongings that we did get!

I have included a link to my facebook page where I downloaded all of the pictures of the 2nd fire. Basically they had managed to save the shell of the house the first time around (although it was still a total loss) but then when the wind kicked up around 10am (Dad was home by then) the fire re-ignited in two parts of the house and Dad decided to let it go and burn to the ground, so some neighbors took a bunch of pictures along with the aftermath pictures I took this morning.

I have lots of photos of kids and such to upload some day...if any of you are on facebook let me know and I will add you as I update that site more frequently now since it is much easier to utilize with pictures.

Have a great day, talk with you soon.

Here is the link to view the pictures of the fire http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/album.php?aid=2023412&id=1002518170, however you may have to sign up for facebook I am just realizing, so I will add a couple on here too. If you want to see all of them, create a facebook account and add Dawn Strickler Morgan as a friend to see them. All of you who are already facebook members, these are the same pictures that I posted on there this morning, so you may have already seen them.

Thanks
Dawn


here is when it started the second time


Starting to really catch fire after it was decided to let it go
Fully engulfed!
.....and collapse!
This is what it looks like this morning.

4 comments:

Kristin Chesnik said...

That is so sad! I am so glad no one was hurt and that you were able to salvage emotional items. I am on Facebook and I don't think we are "friends" yet. I will work on that! Hope you are doing well (minus the fire drama!).

Hardy Family said...

Oh Dawn, my heart goes out to your father. I have never experienced anything like that. I just hope you got out enough of the personal memory items. I hope your dad is fine emotionally. Thanks for sharing so we can keep your dad in our prayers.

Anonymous said...

How devastating for your Dad! Glad nobody was injured though. Thanks for keeping us updated.
Susie

Susie said...

Susie and Dave Bloomer, not anonymous!